Last Friday turned to be more hectic than other days. Turned out a member in my team accidentally overwrote a critical file causing a major production down scenario and rebuild activity would take over 3 days.
Sheila has never made such a mistake in the past and simply couldn't forgive herself for the blunder she did. Like all women, she used the tears to vent her frustration out. The whole team did not give up on her and tried to get her out of it. Five days later she is still at the same state - upset and still not forgiven herself.
So, today I decided to get all the freshers in a room and give them a parental-work advice. This is what I said -
" If you ever get a chance watch a cocoon turn into a butterfly, it seems like its in so much pain and misery that you would just want to break the shell and get the butterfly out. But never ever do it because its the struggle that makes its wings stronger.
So, if you face a lot of difficulties and challenges in your initial learning face,remember it only makes you bolder and stronger and helps you progress. Don't get discouraged by the mistakes you make or think of yourselves any less. Although you may need to slow down a bit to see where you stand.
Making mistakes is okay.. but learn from it and make sure that you know what you did wrong and propagate so others avoid making the same mistakes.
Learning from your own mistakes is something but learning from others mistakes - Awesome! But make sure that when someone in the team or outside makes a mistake, you are not just the audience enjoying someone getting all the bashing - it could be you tomorrow..
When I first started to work with a bunch of 25+ years experienced people, while I hardly had 2 years of total work experience, I was asked to give a presentation to some well experienced people in the market. As it was my first time, I had a rehearsal before the actual meeting. We went to a conf room which had a keyboard in UK layout. I couldn't figure it out and couldn't even login as the @ was not shift+2 or # was no longer shift+3.. and with all the nervousness I was fumbling away to glory.. and then suddenly one the senior members asked me to leave the room, and suggested I learn using the key board first and then call them for a meeting or atleast when I am sure I was prepared to give the presentation. All others- Loud Laugh!
I was devastated. But I didn't give up, I made sure I knew not just the UK keyboard but French or even Arabic or be it any language key board and next day I gave my presentation and got pretty good response.
So, its a true story from myself , muster up and smile ! Take life easy.. work is something.. not everything!
Good Luck!
And then I caught a couple of guys yawning but I came out happy because I made Sheila smile after 5 days :D
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You communicate your thoughts beautifully as your story's flow elegantly from your brain to your finger tips. Good Job on making Sheila smile. :) All your blogs so far have a positive message resonating within them, I like that theme. Bravo! Wish I could write as well as you!
ReplyDelete