A few years ago, a close friend of mine invited me over to his place for lunch stating his mother was the world's best cook. I did go with high hopes and found the menu wasn't extra-ordinary nor was the taste. In fact it seemed very ordinary - no where close to how he had described.
While we dined, I couldn't help wondering what was really so great about it that he relished so much and certified that his mother was indeed the world's greatest chef.
Several days later, as always my mother was waiting for me to join for dinner.It was the usual rice and curry followed by the routine curd rice. But it was awesome. I realized why I find the daily routine food to taste like divine nectar.
I now understood what my friend meant - the distinct difference between a food from a restaurant and when a mother serves food. A mother never simply serves food - she puts all her love , care , affection and every thing synonymous to good into food while serving. As she serves, she prays that every meal and every morsel her child eats may bring the best of health and happiness. Thats what makes the food extra special and that can only be felt by the person whose mother is serving food.
That is the power of a mother.
In malayalam, there is a saying " Kaaka kunju pon kunju " ( literal translation - crow's baby is golden baby ) - meaning however ugly be the nestling to others, the mother raven always considers its child to be the most beautiful and most precious.
But there is no saying with the reverse in any language - i.e a person thinking the mother is most precious however she be .. why ? - Because a mother never expects but simply gives .. first her blood and bones when the baby is in the womb, then her youth answering the one million questions a day the child asks, then her life savings so her child can stand on its own legs and finally her whole life..
There are many who believe in rebirth. The belief is that the good deeds and sins committed in the present birth determines how your life would be in the next one. If such a thing exists, then I believe that every woman who has become a mother must have done definitely done all the good deeds !
Like a full python, I sit all day on the sofa and ordering my mother around and she has decided that if ever there be a evil mother in law day, she would be getting me a cake to celebrate the day. :D Apparently, I fit the bookish evil mother-in-law character very well :D
Well, I hope she gets me a pineapple cake.. :D :D
To all the awesome mothers and the lucky `to be' mothers.
Happy Mother's day !!!!
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment