'You are next !' - a phrase abundantly used at weddings. If you are 50+ and happen to spot a young bachelorette at a wedding, you have got to tell her 'You are next !' , otherwise you would break the golden chain of putting them in the most uncomfortable spot.
However, don't ever ever say this at funerals because you know why :-)
Similarly, the phrase can turn out to be quite offensive when you say 'you are next' to someone who is at the same rank as yours just after you got a big big promotion. What makes it worse is the prefix " Hey, don't worry " that some people add hoping it makes things better. The person who you are saying that to is probably smiling and saying " Happy for you. You deserve it " but actually thinking " Like hell you do ! and hey remember to take the knife out of my back"
It can be especially nerve racking just after the receptionist looks at you with a broad smile and says ' you are next ' while sitting at a waiting room either for an interview for a much wanted job or even at a hospital especially when there are surprises ( wink wink)
Most of my relatives have a mantra handy that would make the unhealthy perfectly fit , single men and women married within a snap of a finger, people looking for an instant promotion, wanting children, wanting house, wanting to go abroad and all the remaining bazillion wishes. Sometimes makes me wonder what would happen if one day everyone decides to say mantras and stop working.
For a long time I never really understood the meaning of the words Mantra and Tantra, let alone say mantras that would give me health and wealth. I recently found what they meant. 'Man' in fact means mind and 'Tra' means protect.Similarly 'Tan' means body. So, Mantra and Tantra are just ways of protecting the mind and body.
But does saying mantras really help ? - I have no experience. But I do believe that there is a strong external force ( not magnetic field) that keeps the earth and its people in its place.. And I also believe when you keep repeating "good" things that you would like it to happen - will happen. ( for me the reverse works better - say I want a gold fish for my birthday , i'll keep saying 'I hope I dont get a silver fish' and bam - I get a gold fish :D )
I have also learnt that people I meet everyday are like my 5 fingers, each one is so different yet are important and have a purpose and a reason why they came into your life. Like I read somewhere, some come for a reason and disappear once their purpose accomplished. Some others come in a season, they just come for a while and turn your life by 360 degrees and disappear for no reason. All others are remain for lifetime. Well, I have had people in all three categories and hope to add more people in my lifetime category.
Why am I writing this - I have no idea and why so philosophical - because I am sleepy.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I pretty much know mantra and tantra does not work. I guess nobody would have gone through so much of mantra and tantra as i did as a child to get rid of my illness. Here i'm still and shit has already hit the fan for me :P
ReplyDeleteBut yeah, as for the funeral thing.. one day. just one of these days.. purely for sadistic pleasure im gonna try that one to get back to these oldies that bug the crap outta me at weddings with the "you're next" statement :P